Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kind of waiting...

Ok, so a lot has happened since my last post and now. 
I heard from AFS and have now been formally accepted into Belgium! yay! I still don't know which city i'll be in or who my host family will be but that is all supposed to come within a week...or, at least, that's what they tell me. We'll see.

So right now I'm trying to work out my visa app. Which is proving to be quite difficult. It's very complicated and not easy to understand. But that's ok, I'm the master of tedious paperwork and weird forms! 

Now that my departure is quickly approaching (Aug 18-21), I am getting a little scared. I'm still super excited but now I'm worrying about learning the language and fitting in. Oh well! It's just something I'm going to have to overcome! I think now is a good time to start making some goals for my year abroad, so here are some that I can think of off the top of my head.


Pre-Departure Goals:
1) Become fluent (or at least very comfortable) in French.
2) Do well in all of my classes...and at least try to do all the homework!
3) Make the long distance relationship work.
4) Keep a good balance between talking to my friends/family at home and my new friends/family in Belgium.
5) Be a good representative of my country. (Sounds cheesy, but I don't want to break some of the US stereotypes that they might have over there.)
6) Learn more about the European culture and hopefully gain some more worldly perspective.

That's all I can think of for now...but as I see them written out like that and the more I think about it, the more confident I am that I will be able to at least partially fulfill all of my goals!

I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment