Monday, March 22, 2010

Sorry!/Explanation

Ok, so it's been about a month since my last post. A lot has happened since then and now and so I'm going to do my best to catch you guys up. Though rather than doing it in one long and random post, I'm going to separate it in to multiple posts to give some organization to your readings. That being said, I dedicate the remainder of this post to an explanation of my new blog title picture thing....


At first glance, this may look like a fountain of a little boy peeing. Well, no need to look twice, cuz that's exactly what it is. When I first went to Brussels, just days after my arrival here in Belgium, I was fortunate enough to be able to see this Manneken Pis (I think it's "Peeing Boy" in a mix of French and Flemmish). My host mom told me that he is the symbol of Belgium and a pride to their country. Though I didn't express this at the time, my initial reaction was "You've gotta be kidding!! This is the most tacky thing I've ever seen!!" Though I have to admit, that little guy has grown on me since. Ok, let me explan.... If you look at Belgium's history, you'll notice that they've been taken over by pretty much every European power since forever (it's a little pathetic, really). Anyway, when they gained independence, they decided to build this fountain just to show the rest of Europe that they can do whatever they want and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them! And of course they chose the most crude and random thing, because hey, they can! It's hilarious, and kinda a big "F you!" to the rest of Europe. What's not to like?

Anyway, now that that's cleared up, I'll be working on filling you guys in on everything that's happened in this last month. More soon!


-claire

No comments:

Post a Comment