Sunday, August 30, 2009

J'aime la Belgique :)

So let's see... today is Sunday. Oh la la, I am behind!

Friday we all just stayed at the house. I spent most of my time sleeping and doing college stuff... Yes, I know it's early, but I suppose I should get a headstart, seeing that I'm halfway around the world and such. As of now, I have officially applied to PSU (it was easy, no essay or anything) and am working on several other applications. I am still torn between whether I should go to art school or to a regular university... I have a good shot at getting into Cornish or MICA (my portfolio has already been accepted by both) and those are my two preferred art schools. I guess I'm just afraid of dead ending myself. Oh well. I suppose it really depends on what my options are after I've applied everywhere.  Anyway.....

Yesterday we went and visited Genivieve's mother. She lives WAY out in the country but, as always, it was a pleasant drive. Her house was so cool. It was built in 1664 , which was before Belgium was even it's own country! Crazy! She lives really far out in the country, probably the only house for miles... Anyway, there was this cool race thing with old race cars. Not exactly sure what it was but part of the "track" was on the road that she lives on. It was really fun watching all these old race cars drive really fast along the bumpy country road and take the corner at full speed! For dinner we had "raclette" which was really neat. There was this grill thing with two levels in the middle of the table. Everyone has this little tray that you put cheese on, and stick that in the middle. And on the top level, you put meat. It's kinda hard to explain but i'll try to find a picture on the internet. Anyway, there is a platter of different cheeses, and a platter of different meats (including ostrich, yes, I ate ostrich!) and potatoes and pickles and onions and egg that you can pour into the cheese tray with the cheese....and that's raclette. You just eat it all together. Very good. Very French.

Today has been, for the most part, a lazy Sunday. I did go for a walk though. Which was very nice. I took some pictures and got to know Malonne a little better. (I even got lost but of course I found my way back!) I rather enjoyed my promenade. The people here are very friendly, they all smile and say "Bonjour" when they pass. I like the Belgium. I like it a lot.


FUN FACT: When Belgium first became independent (18something) they needed a king but none of the Belgians really had ruling experience because they were constantly under foreign reign. So basically, they sent out a wanted ad to the rest of Europe. Leopold I showed up, and then he was king. Just like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment