Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I really must be crazy.

Today was my first day of school and let me say again, I really must be crazy!

So when we arrived today, everyone was standing outside in the courtyard chatting with their friends. I met some of Amandine's friends, they were nice, younger than me though. After talk for a few minutes (or more like, them talking, me trying to understand) Amandine took me over to see which class I was in. It's kind of like in elementary school, you check these lists posted on the windows to see what class you're in. But here's where it get's tricky, you're with the same people for most classes, but they're in different rooms. But you don't have all of your classes with them... it's confusing. I, however, wasn't on any of the lists. So Amandine (Thank God I have her!) took me to several of the offices and we eventually ended up at the directeur's (principal). He had my file and we went through and picked out my classes. I still don't quite understand because it's in an hour system. I don't know what it means at all...perhaps hours per week? But anyway, I have French (lots), English (hopefully this will be easy), history, religion, PE, science, math, Spanish and something else that I didn't catch the name of (I have it tomorrow so I guess I'll find out then. haha.

Anyway, so I have my first class with the French teacher, who is also my titulaire (Kind of like advisory teacher back home...or home room, whatever) I think that is the right term... So ya, I had my first class, which I think would usually be French, but today it was more of an introduction thing. We get these planners that are very confusing but I suppose it will be helpful if I can figure out how to use it. I was really nervous standing outside but the classroom was oddly calming. I can't explain why. I didn't understand most of what the teacher said but I caught the general idea. I also received a printed syllabus to help. First class, not so bad.

After the bell rang we went back outside and people were going all different directions. I didn't know what to do or where to go. Luckily, a girl from my class came up to me and said that I looked lost. I told her that I was was. haha. She was very nice and explained to me that we were on break. We started talking and when I said I was from Oregon she asked if there were a lot of forest fires. I said "maybe", but I meant "sometimes" and we both laughed. Partially at me because I can't talk and partially at her because she asked such an odd question. She invited me to go with her to meet her friends. I met so many people that I can't remember any of their names! In fact, I can't even remember her name! Haha, what a good friend I am. But it's nice, because I actually kind of have a friend now...and a lot of acquaintances. We just talked about Belgium and other random things. I met this boy who told me that my history teacher is crazy. Really crazy, but nice. That's something for me to look forward to...

My second class of the day (and final, because Wednesdays are half days) was history (with the crazy one). This was intimidating because we actually learned stuff. We took notes about the Russian Revolution of 1905. This wouldn't seem that bad but even though he wrote the some of the notes on the board, I learned that European handwriting is extremely difficult to decipher! Seriously! The "p"s look like "j"s and the "m"s, "n"s, "r"s, "v"s, "u"s and sometimes "s"s all look the same! Oh, and the "1"s look like "7"s...but that is easier to tell the difference.  It was so hard to understand! 

Today was probably the scariest and most intellectually challenging day of my life! Oh well, to look on the bright side, after this, college is going to be a breeze!


...now i'm off to take a nap and then re-take/translate my Russian Revolution notes! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Shared with a number of people at work and all enjoyed your experience. Could be the beginning of a book that should be required reading for any exchange student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that's what my mom said...maybe If my English skills weren't falling off a cliff then it would be worthy of publishing! But maybe the weird broken English would be the charm?

    ReplyDelete