Saturday, September 12, 2009

I'm Belgian now.

Today was a very pleasant day.

Didier (host dad) drove me in to Namur today to help me activate my cell phone. At first I
wasn't going to, but seriously everyone has one and it'll be good to have for emergencies. It turns out my phone isn't compatible with the sim cards....even though the t-mobile at home said that it would be. Whatever though, not a big deal. I just bought the cheapest phone there and am going with a pre paid phone plan. I actually really like my phone but it's like ridiculously expensive here so I won't be calling or texting that much.

After the phone place, Didier left me in Namur for the afternoon to go shopping. I needed a jacket, clothes for PE, etc... I ended up buying probably
more than I needed but I stayed within my self imposed budget...but now I'm set for fall/winter. Well, except for shoes. Everyone wears boots here. All the girls, I mean. But I don't really like boots.... I'll try to get by with my flats and converse but I guess if my feet get to cold I'll have to give in....

So after my shopping, I went and has lunch at this li
ttle cafe. It was a true Belgian lunch: ham and cheese sandwich on a baguette, with mayonaise of course and Kriek, which is cherry flavored beer. It was very nice, even though I was eating alone. I enjoyed watching all the people walk by. And I ordered in Fren
ch and everything. I'm Belgian now. I even fooled the people at the table next to me. They asked if they could have my menu and I said yes and gave it to them. Then like 10 minutes later they started talking to me in rapid french and I told them that I'm American and just moved here and don't speak French very well yet. Ha, tricked them, I did!

I think starting Wednesday is the "Fetes de Wallonie" which is this big festival in Namur that's for Wallonia, the Southern, French speaking part of Belgium. I think I am going with a group of friends from my schoo
l. That will be
fun. Ugh, so now I think I'm going to dig into my homework. Oh, the joys of school.


The lively, little street I had lunch on.























The cafe I ate at.



















Yum yum! :)
































I think this was a performance by the conservatory in Namur. Pretty cool

1 comment:

  1. Hey Claire =)
    I'm just looking for your website. It's great. I like it =)

    I like the moment when you say "I'm Belgian now" :p
    And yes It would be nice if we go to the Fetes de Wallonie.

    See you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete