Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wallos


So Les Fêtes de Wallonie were a success!
On Saturday I took the bus to Namur around
5:30pm where I met some friends (Caroline,
Damien & Kamil) at the bus station. So
how to describe wallos. Kinda like the
state fair, but not as tacky, but still a little
tacky. And there is beer and peket at least
every 50 ft. And you don't have to pay to
get in, it's basically all the streets in
downtown are closed to traffic and there
are tons of vendors and stuff.
Oh, and like a billion people.

So anyway, the first thing I have to do when
I get there (according to my friends) is have
a peket. Peket is the drink of wallos. It's a very
strong shot and they have every flavor imaginable!
The peket stands are actually really cool looking
because they're all different colored. So I tried
apple flavored. We all took it together (except
Kamil, he doesn't drink) and after you drink,
you throw your cup on the ground and step on
it. After that we walked around a bit and then
went to this park where we met Johanna and
Dominik! Ya, I saw Dominik! Pretty cool.

So the rest of the night was wild. Well not for
me, but for everyone else there. I've never seen
so many drunk people in my life- or maybe just
so many people in general! There was this one
point where it took us like 20 minutes to get
through this street that would take less than a
minute on a normal day. It was intense! But I
had a lot of funand a few more pekets. Oh, and
I saw one of the best fire work shows of my life!
It was so cool! There was music and smoke and
lights and fireworks. It was beautiful. Most of
the night I was with Damien because everyone
else came and went. We just walked around and
stuff.I feel a little bad for him actually, he was
kind of like my baby-sitter/tour guide! I think
he had fun though. (Damien, if you're reading
this, I hope you had fun! I did!) Then later we
met up with Kamil and Johanna again and he
gave us rides home at like 12 or 1.

I went again today with my family but it wasn't
as fun. We watched this fight thing with people
on stilts. It would be cool but it was like an hour
long. I did get to see something kind of like marching
band...except they had bag pipes. It was cool though
because the bottom bass was a total BA because he
stood in the middle of the circle while they were
playing and he was just beating away. It made me
feel cool for playing bottom bass in marching
band! haha.

But ya, I took some pictures. I'm a little upset
though because I didn't get any good ones!
Sometimes you have to choose between taking a
good picture and just enjoying yourself. I chose to
be in the moment, which didn't render good pictures
but I had a great time so it's ok!

But since I haven't shown you guys pictures in a
while I'll let you see a few:


















Candy! I wish I got a picture of one of the peket stands...























This was before it got wild...
















I have friends!!!!!!
Johanna, Caroline, Damien,and Kamil.
(from left to right)













































Dominik!





















I look terrible but I had to get a picture of me being
so Belgian with my fries w/ mayo and beer!

















Fireworks!


































Marching band!






































What a bad ass!

2 comments:

  1. Claire don't worry, I had fun too =)
    When i left you to go with my others friends i didn't had as much fun as with you =)
    I like too the moment you say "my tour guide" I like to speak english and so it was very fantastic :)
    And for the firework we didn't be at the best place but it was still very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je suis contente d'apprendre que tu s'es amusé! Tu étais le meilleur guide accompagnateur et les feus d'artifice étaient parfait de où nous avions!

    ReplyDelete